Client: Main Roads WA
Construction Period: February 2018 – May 2018
Total Value: $1.9 million
Bridge No. 0915 is located on West Swan Rd Belhus, approx. 1km north of Gnangara Rd. The bridge consists of a 9 span timber and steel superstructure with an overall length of 55meters and width of 9.04meters. The bridge is supported by a combination of timber and steel piles at the piers and concrete abutments.
The project included:
- Demolition and replacement of a reinforced concrete overlay (RCO);
- Demolition and replacement of 4 wingwalls;
- Abutment sheeting repairs (RC wall in front of the timber sheeting);
- Demolition and replacement of approach slabs;
- Removal and replacement of various timber superstructure elements with steel including stringers, corbels, halfcaps and walers;
- Pier and abutment pile repairs involving cut-off of deteriorated timber piles below ground level and replacement with steel piles encased in concrete;
- Demolition and complete replacement of Pier 5;
- Pile banding;
- Removal and replacement of guardrail;
- Installation of sheet piled wall as temporary shoring;
- Construction of 40m long retaining wall;
- Construction of embankment widening using 2500m3 of fill;
- Road widening;
- Asphalt overlay;
- Miscellaneous works including Linemarking, signs, stormwater drainage pit, rock protection, kerbing, etc.
The project was completed under complete bridge closure with a detours implemented to manage vehicular traffic for the duration of the Contract. Approx 10,000 vehicles per day use this section of West Swan Rd, and therefore there was a lot of pressure to complete the works within a short time frame. The project was completed on time in less than 15 weeks.